The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Waste Not Want Not Wednesday #7

Waste Not Want Not Wednesday #7

I hope all my American readers had a restful and happy Thanksgiving weekend!  I'm looking forward to seeing what you've been up to this week :)

The Waste Not Want Not Wednesday link-up party is inspired by World Food Day (Oct. 16), and recent articles such as this one that show between 40-51% of food in Canada and America ends up in the garbage.  Over-consumption, lack of knowledge, low cost and over purchasing are common causes of food waste in North America.

This unsustainable over-consumption extends to so many aspects of our lives.  So perhaps if we all share our tips for consuming a little less stuff in general, cooking more responsibly and frugally, and living eco-friendly, we can each take a small part in making our world a little more sustainable.

And besides, who couldn't save a little bit of money anyway? 


There were so many great posts last week, but the three that received the most views were:





 



Congrats and grab a badge from the right side!

So what kinds of posts are allowed?

1)  Recipes!  But only gluten free, healthy ones please.  This means different things for different people, but please, no recipes with pre-made boxed flour mixes or mass amounts of white or brown sugar (the less sugar the better please!).

2) Articles about food, sustainability, living healthy and frugal, being green and things in keeping with this. 

3)  DIY tutorials for using up odds and ends around the house in a frugal fashion.

* Share up to 3 posts per week.  

What are the rules?

1) Post a link on your blog post to back here, or copy and paste the code from the box under the Waste Not Want Not Button on the side bar into the HTML of your post.  Simple linky etiquette, but also so people can find these tips and recipes.

2) Leave a comment and introduce yourself.  What's your blog and/or your post about?  Is your recipe GF, EF, NF, DF, SF, V (i.e. gluten free, egg free, nut free, dairy free, sugar free, Vegan) Let me and the other readers get to know you :)

3) Consider telling people you shared here on FB, Twitter or elsewhere and spread the love around, so more people can find this link-up.

4) Don't have a blog? No worries! Share your tips or recipes in the comments section.

5) Visit some of the other posts here, comment on their scrumptiousness/brilliancy/helpfulness/frugality and let them know you found them here and hope for a similar visit.   
6) Follow the Poor and Gluten Free blog on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter to stay up to date on happenings here (ok, not a rule, just a little shameless self-promotion).

Each week I'll post the entries on my Waste Not Want Not Pinterest board, and feature different posts on my  Facebook and Google+ pages so be sure to check in there, too!

17 comments:

  1. OH WOW!! I can't believe my post was featured!! What an honor! :) I will have to add that tidbit to the post so that everyone who reads it from now on will know it was featured here at WNWNW!!

    I only added one link today: DIY Cloth Napkins. I use napkins a LOT and decided that when I get married instead of buying napkins I was going to use cloth and just wash them so that I could save money this way. They're super easy to make yourself!!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great post, Helen. I recently posted a napkin tutorial, too, so I totally agree with you :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! Yes I like to spend as little as I can, and this was one way I could save some money so I decided to whip up some napkins and an easy tutorial while I was at it!

      Helen
      Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting Danielle!

    We are kicking off the holiday season by filling our home with holiday cheer without the extra calories or need for gluttony.

    I shared a sweet, spicy, and decadent simmering potpourri recipe that doesn't fill the air with fake scents that are harmful and toxic to us and our children.

    You can also get a sneak peek at our holiday preparations.

    The Official Scent of Christmas; A Simmering Potpourri Recipe
    http://www.20somethingallergies.com/simmering-potpourri-christmas/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds wonderful, Jennifer. I hate those scary air fresheners like febreze!

      Delete
  3. Wow, Jennifer and I must be sharing brainwaves this week. :) I posted about my homemade fragrance spray (with essential oils), and just some other tips to help make your home smell nice for the holidays without using toxic chemical products. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess this means that Christmas is in the air! Thanks for sharing, Danielle :)

      Delete
  4. I linked up #21 Easy Meal: Stuffed Sweet Potatoes. It's an idea to use up leftovers and the sweet potatoes we stocked up on last week when they were so cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to checking it out, Kristel! Sweet potatoes are one of the few things left at the farmers market in the winter so I always have a bag on hand but run out of ideas :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for hosting the party! Now that I'm linked up, I'm going to check out a few of the other links. I see some great ones up there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for hosting!
    I've shared a frugal recipe- it uses lots of veggies to cut down on meat costs :) beef and veggie stir fry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks for sharing, kabochas! Your photos looks lovely :)

      Delete
  7. I gave the link up a shout out on my Exercise blog! (http://exerciseencouragementgroup.blogspot.com/2012/11/tidbits-on-friday-1.html)

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are all such wonderful ideas. Thank you all for sharing and thank you Danielle for hosting!something2offer.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Thaleia. I'm glad you're enjoying the posts, and thank you for sharing!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...