The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Waste Not Want Not Wednesday #9

Waste Not Want Not Wednesday #9

Happy Christmas Month!  I'm shaking things up a teeny bit this month for WNWNW!!  I'll be featuring my favorite top Christmas posts along with reader favorites, so read on!

The Waste Not Want Not Wednesday link-up party is inspired by World Food Day (Oct. 16), and recent articles such as this one that show between 40-51% of food in Canada and America ends up in the garbage.  Over-consumption, lack of knowledge, low cost and over purchasing are common causes of food waste in North America.

This unsustainable over-consumption extends to so many aspects of our lives.  So perhaps if we all share our tips for consuming a little less stuff in general, cooking more responsibly and frugally, and living eco-friendly, we can each take a small part in making our world a little more sustainable.

And besides, who couldn't save a little bit of money anyway? 


Throughout this month I'll be sharing some posts on how I'm making Christmas a little more eco-friendly this year.   So I encourage you to share your eco-friendly Christmas tips this month, too! (Although not required by any means) 

Last week's top Christmas posts were: 
 



 


Easy Terra Cotta Snowman Tutorial from OneCreativeMommy.com--you'll be done in no time!   


There were so many great posts last week, but the three that received the most views were:

Coconut Oil Treats (& a Coconut Oil Review) 

from Stitching Hearts Together

Whipped Body Butter Recipe: 2 Simple Ingredients 

from My Healthy Green Family

 

Basic Bean Soup from Axiom at Home


Congrats and grab a badge from the right side!

So what kinds of posts are allowed?

1)  Recipes!  But only gluten free, healthy ones please.  This means different things for different people, but please, no recipes with pre-made boxed flour mixes or mass amounts of white or brown sugar (the less sugar the better please!).

2) Articles about food, sustainability, living healthy and frugal, being green and things in keeping with this. 

3)  DIY tutorials for using up odds and ends around the house in a frugal fashion.

* Share up to 3 posts per week.  

What are the rules?

1) Post a link on your blog post to back here, or copy and paste the code from the box under the Waste Not Want Not Button on the side bar into the HTML of your post.  Simple linky etiquette, but also so people can find these tips and recipes.

2) Leave a comment and introduce yourself.  What's your blog and/or your post about?  Is your recipe GF, EF, NF, DF, SF, V (i.e. gluten free, egg free, nut free, dairy free, sugar free, Vegan) Let me and the other readers get to know you :)

3) Consider telling people you shared here on FB, Twitter or elsewhere and spread the love around, so more people can find this link-up.

4) Don't have a blog? No worries! Share your tips or recipes in the comments section.

5) Visit some of the other posts here, comment on their scrumptiousness/brilliancy/helpfulness/frugality and let them know you found them here and hope for a similar visit.   
6) Follow the Poor and Gluten Free blog on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest or Twitter to stay up to date on happenings here (ok, not a rule, just a little shameless self-promotion).

Each week I'll post the entries on my Waste Not Want Not Pinterest board, and feature different posts on my  Facebook and Google+ pages so be sure to check in there, too!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Danielle!

    I've been away for awhile...busy with the holidays. But I'm back with a yummy recipe this week! I'm sharing my recipe for a low-carb, grain-free fried "rice" made with cauliflower.

    http://www.annemariecain.com/cauliflower-fried-rice-grain-free-low-carb/

    Thanks for hosting,
    Anne-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the name of your weekly party! Thanks for hosting!

    I left a post about our latest green craft, Christmas style.
    http://motherofdiscussion.blogspot.com/2012/12/5-eco-friendly-gift-wrap-ideas-for-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also left a post about making chore boards for my two boys. I bought one small item but otherwise it was from things I had around already. They're really easy to put together if you want to make one.

    http://motherofdiscussion.blogspot.com/2012/12/chore-boards.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, toady mama! Those all sound like great ideas!

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for featuring my Edible Chicken Garlands ! This week I shared my Mint Jelly recipe. Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily www.fresh-eggs-daily.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for hosting!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for hosting and for the feature!! That made my day. :) This week I shared a recipe for white chili, perfect for the cooler weather.

    http://axiomathome.blogspot.com/2012/01/white-chili.html

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband is a huge fan of chili, I can't wait to check your recipe out!

      Delete
  7. Hi Miss Danielle! :)
    I have a great waste not recipe- you get to eat the bowl!! haha Again, not very Christmassy but oh well.. still delicious anyways :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Danielle!! I am linking up late, but that's better than missing all together! :) I shared a tip for freezing cookie dough...it's NOT a recipe so hopefully that's okay! I figured it would be something helpful/useful to know with Christmas almost a week away and many people probably want to make cookies but avoid the mess and work right before Christmas Eve/Day so this was the best way I came up with (via Pinterest, of course!) to save work yet still have freshly baked cookies!

    Thanks so much for hosting and all the hard work you do promoting our posts via Pinterest!!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen, a cooking tip is perfectly fine to share, and you're right, nobody wants to be cleaning up cookie dough at the last minute!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...