The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Friday, May 22, 2015

Gluten Free Cheddar and Herb Biscuits / Scones (Dairy-Free/Vegan Option for +Meatless Monday)


Soooo when I first whipped these together I was afraid they'd go the way of many of my rushed adaptations of normally glutinous goods - that is, I'd be able to eat one or two of them before I decide the texture is off, or the flavour is wrong, and they end up in the garbage.

But when I took my first bite of these I knew I had to try another one just to be sure it was good.

And then another one.

Three biscuits in fifteen minutes and I can confidently say that these are good. Very good.

And they take no time and only one bowl to whip together. 

 



 

 I adapted this recipe from one that I ripped out of my mother's Hello! Magazine. That one is, of course, glutinous and calls for an egg.


This one is neither.

It's also quite cheap if you happen to get white rice flour and tapioca starch from an Asian market or Asian section of the grocery store - they tend to be cheaper than a lot of other brands.
 
You can either cut them into scone shapes or use the lid of a glass or jar to cut out biscuits. I used a knife to cut wedge biscuits according to the original recipe (and save me the need to clean another dish).






Ingredients for Gluten Free Cheddar and Herb Biscuits (makes 8 biscuit / scones)

3/4 cup brown or white rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca starch + extra for dusting.
3/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
2 Tbsp chilled butter, cut into chunks OR chilled coconut oil OR dairy-free butter
1/2 cup - 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese OR dairy-free cheese
1/4 cup fresh diced herbs (I like cilantro and dill)
3/4 cup cold milk of choice OR soda water
1 tsp apple cider vinegar


Directions

Preheat oven to 350F and cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.

1. Sift together flour, starch, gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Work in butter using fingers, pastry cutter, or potato masher until crumbly.

2. Add cheese and herbs and toss to coat. Beat in milk and apple cider vinegar to create a smooth batter. Batter will be goopy. Turn out on to a tapioca starch dusted surface, dust with more starch and knead once or twice so dough is less goopy and more workable.

Pat into a round about 3/4" thick. Using a sharp wet knife, slice into 8 wedges. Arrange onto baking sheet with space between (these will almost double in size).

3. Bake approximately 18 minutes, until firm but springy. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack.


How do you like your biscuits? 





Have you seen my gluten free pasta book  Recipes for Unusual Gluten Free Pasta: Pierogis, Dumplings, Desserts and More! ? Get yourself a copy and start making GF won tons, pierogis, dumplings, and orzo today :)  
 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOBSVDI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KOBSVDI&linkCode=as2&tag=pooandglufr03-20&linkId=XQEAIRXIVZUMBNGU


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...